General sizing guidelines for wheel diameter:
– Short travel in confined areas with hand-pushed equipment: 3″,4″ diameter
– Long travel with hand-pushed equipment: 5″,6″,8″ diameter
– Conveyor-towed trucks speed up to 3 MPH: 6″, 8″ diameter with nut and bolt kingpin – Tractor-towed equipment outdoors: 10″ minimum
The bigger the wheel, the faster you go! And large size wheel can protect the floor better than the small one due to its turn less than the small one, so will not heat up as easy as the small size wheels, choose the big wheel size when the fitting height is allowed.
– Roller bearings: good for greater load capacities and rollability. Heat treated (hardened) ones can have a heavier load than non-heat treated ones. Require regularly lubrication.
– Ball bearings: good for maximum rollability, less friction, quiet, no lubrication required
Wheel Materials: Refer to above wheel material capability & a characteristic chart to choose the proper wheel material for your casters.